Monday, February 1, 2010

Dress up that old birdcage

You can use that vintage birdcage in grandma's basement for a hanging focal point.  I bought this birdcage at an auction for $10.  It's made of bamboo with a wire hook, and it was originally painted an orange-red color.

I knew it wouldn't go with my decor very well.  I bought some metallic gold acrylic spray paint, and that did the trick.  It gave it a nice sheen and reflective shimmer.  It still had the perch that goes from side to side that the bird sits on. 

I thought this would look even better with a "bird" inside. I didn't have a real bird, but I did have a broken hummingbird figurine ornament that I was going to throw away.  I attached it to the top of the cage with a fishing line and positioned it right over the perch. 

Well, this was looking rather good.  I needed a bird dish so I borrowed one from my neighbor.  It's a chinese delft design painted in blue and white.

My hubby added a chain to the hook and the other end to the ceiling and now I have a very nice display that hangs over my dry sink.  Everyone who sees it thinks there's a real bird in it, until they get closer and see that he doesn't move around, lol.


Dress up your porch or patio this summer and add a touch of whimsy.  You can find realistic clip-on bird figurines like these online or in your craft store. You can dress up the cage even more by attaching ribbon, adding a small houseplant, or adding peatmoss to the bottom of the cage.  Be creative.










Kathys Animal Figurines on Etsy

No comments:

Post a Comment